Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Energy savings of a ' fridge

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Edwin Pawlowski writes:

That tag though, does give me some idea that A is better than B.

Exactly: it gives you that idea. An untested, unproven idea that
plausibly
could be the inverse of the truth.

The function of the tag is to sell refrigerators and provide cover for the
government. No doors, no contents, no ice. A schoolboy doing a science
fair project would come up with a better test.

Do you have evidence that it may be the inverse? Have you done any testing?

The test is not perfect, the circumstances are not the same as every
household uses their fridge in a different manner, but overall, heat gain
into a given volume insulated container has to be removed. If two boxes,
one more insulated than the other sit side by side in a 70 degree room,
the better insulated one will have less gain. So, measure it, put it on a
yellow tag and you have some basis for comparison. Real use will vary if
you open the door five times or fifty times a day, but the comparison of A
to BE will still be reasonably close. Add five pounds of water to each and
make ice. You still have to move the same number of calories to get the
water from 50 to 0 or whatever.

If the yellow tag sates $50 per year, my use may be 20% more, but the model
that says $150 per year is still going to be 17% to 22% more and that is all
I need to know. "Look honey, this one is better insulated so we can save a
whale for dinner." That's all I need to know no matter how detailed your
proposed test is.

I bought a car that states 30 mpg on the sticker and I'm happy with the 25
that I get and expected. I knew that difference up front. I do, in fact,
know that it is better than the cars with the 20 mpg sticker and not as good
as the ones with the 35 mpg sticker.