Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron in NY Ron in NY is offline

Default HOUSE WASTE TRAP IS ALWAYS CLOGGED---HELP !!!

Hi All,

I have been living in the same house for over 30 years. I am about 50 miles
north of NYC in rural Putnam County, where there are no sewer systems. We have
our own septic system. I have no problems with the septic system itself, as I
have the 900 gallon tank pumped out every 2 or 3 years. However, the house trap
gets partially clogged with what appears to be soap, and if I don't scrape it
off of the inside of the trap, my toilet downstairs starts to flush slowly. It
only builds up on the house side of the trap--the septic tank side of the trap
never gets any buildup. Every 2 or 3 months, I unscrew the house side cap, and
instead of a 3 1/2" hole, I have about a 2" hole. There is usually a build up of
what appears to be soap about 1" thick on the inside walls of the trap. I take a
screwdriver, and scrape it off, flush the downstairs toilet a few times, and it
all goes into the septic tank, and the downstairs toilet is good for a few more
months again.

When this problem started (about 8-10 years ago), we switched from powdered
soap to liquid soap in both the washing machine and dishwasher. I figured that
the powdered soap was not dissolving completely, and that was the cause of the
problem---evidently, it wasn't, as the problem still exists. It's a white mushy
coating, like congealed soap. I told my wife to cut down on the amount of soap
in both the washing machine and the dishwasher, but it still happens. Back then
both of my kids were still in the house. As of about 5 years ago, they are both
out of the house on their own, so the frequency of usage on the washing machine
and dishwasher has gon down considerably, but the buildup is still the same. Is
it possible that the buildup is some organic compound ???

Any ideas how I can cure the problem ???

RON

Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.