Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Sky Sky is offline

Default Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Apr 15, 8:13 pm, aspasia wrote:
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:51:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

wrote:
On Apr 14, 2:04 am, aspasia wrote:
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:48:33 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

wrote:
In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

The only reason folks buy cast iron cookware is because it's cheap,
and they are too poor or miserly to buy real cookware or they enjoy
playing pilgrim.

You don't have kids or a wife, do you.

It's a great way to get iron into the diet.

You couldn't HIRE me to use those non-stick coatings which migrate
into the user's system with bad consequences. Feh!

Do you have a citation to a refereed scientific journal that describes
those
bad consequences?

Cindy Hamilton

I hope you don't mind if I suggest you do your own research. I've
seen a great deal on-line and in hard media over the years attesting
to the damage done to people by fumes from these pans. But that
material may not rise to the scientific level of assurance you
require.

Actually, the only things I've seen that seemed remotely credible was:

1. When heated to excess, some types of nonstick coatings can release
fumes that are toxic to birds.

2. If you don't use the nonstick pan like an idiot, you're in no
danger.

I'm really looking for a citation in the New England Journal of
Medicine,
the Lancet, or peer-reviewed toxicology journals. Perhaps I'll see
what I can
find. It seems to me that the burden of proof is on the person making
the
claims, however.

Cindy Hamilton

I don't know if this is pertinent or not, but five years ago a
co-worker, who works as a scientist in environmental engineering and
science, shared with me an article from USA Today written by Elizabeth
Weise, "Posted 4/23/2003 10:08 PM - Updated 4/24/2003 1:24 AM". The
title of the article is, "Out of the frying pan, into a fire." I won't
post/share the entire article here because that would be an infringement
of copyright. But for reference, here are a couple of paragraphs quoted
from the article that may help, or perhaps not:

"Last week the Environmental Protection Agency announced concerns
about a widely used chemical called perfluorinated acid. Tests in rats
have shown reduced fetal weight of pups, delays in maturation and kidney
problems - and 92% of Americans tested had trace amounts of it in their
blood. That's because so-called PFOA or its byproducts are used in the
manufacturing process for Teflon and Gore-Tex and can be released as the
original Scotchguard and Stainmaster break down. PFOA also has other
industrial uses."

"This month a paper in the journal Current Biology reported that a
commonly used plastic ingredient called bisphenol A caused abnormal
pregnancies in mice and might cause reproductive problems in people.
Last year a Swedish study found that a flame retardant used in TV sets,
computer circuit boards and casings, foams and fabric called
polybrominated diphenyl ether, or PBDE, is rapidly accumulating in human
breast milk. The chemical is thought to cause thyroid cancer and
possibly neurodevelopmental problems in test animals."

Hope this helps you to find appropriate citations for particular studies
and papers if you're so inclinded.

Sky, who is no scientist and has no "environmental engineering and
science" background -----disclaimer!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice