Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Breakers compatible with Federal Pacific Stab-Lok Load Center

"cmyers" wrote in message
Hi all. I want to replace my existing Federal Pacific Stab-Lok Load
Center breaker box because the reports that I've heard about it scare
me, and I want to rewire my whole house because the old wiring scares
me. I have a replacement plan in mind, and before I bring in someone
that knows more than I do, I'd like to get as much lined up as
possible.

I plan to install a 100amp breaker into my existing FPE (200 amp
service) box to service a new breaker box (also 200 amp service), then
rewire the house to the new box, and because of other reasons we will
be moving the incoming service to the new box. Note: I say "we" but
in this case "we" means electricians and the electric company as far
as they need to be involved.

Anyway, if anyone is familiar with the FPE Stab-Lok load center, I'd
appreciate some advice about the 100amp breaker. I've found the
NA2100 (Type NA, 2 poles, 100 amp) breakers, but I'm not sure if this
is the one I need for this breaker box or not. My existing breakers
are type NC. Apparently the type NB breakers bolt in ("B" is for
"Bolt" obviously). I have found several of the 30amp or less breakers
as type NC, but anything over that seem to be type NA. I just want to
know if the NA2100 will work in my box...or if you need more
information to make that determination.

I think it's a waste of time and those FPE breakers are more expensive than
other brands. Many service changes to single family houses are done in a
day. Unless there is some other reason to temporarily feed a new panel I
suggest that you start talking to qualified electrical contractors about
what you are trying to accomplish. If you don't want to swing over the old
circuits to the new 200 amp panel, have the electricians run a feed from the
new panel to the old panel thereby making it a sub panel.