Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Steel entry door -- problem/questions

On 04/16/08 03:30 pm dpb wrote:

The old one slid out and the new one slid in its place just fine. The
only problem is that now the door will not close. The "fins" do not
seem significantly longer than those on the old seal, but there just
seems to be too much material there for the space between the bottom
of the door proper and the threshold. Perhaps the door had dropped a
little; if so, how would I go about raising it? There does seem to be
a gap of 3/32" or so at the top.

Any other suggestions?

Adjustable threshold is first thought -- many have an adjusting screw in
the threshold to allow for some adjustment.

Yes, I had investigated further and found that this is an adjustable
threshold -- but it's already in the lowest position.

If the hinges are worn significantly, you would be able to lift the door
a little by a bar underneath and see if there's any gap on the bottom of
the hinges rather than the top -- unlikely to be much, but possible.
Replacement hinges would be the easiest remedy in that case although
thin shim washers could be used if they're really worn that badly (again
unlikely).

I don't see any significant gap in the hinges that would allow the use
of shims. So I guess it's either new hinges (or reinstall existing
hinges in different positions) or replace threshold by a lower, but
still adjustable, one.

Also: the aluminum threshold has a groove in it -- approx. 3/8" wide
and closer to the inside of the house. Is this likely to have been for
a rubber or vinyl seal, or is just to catch runoff? The sills of all
the entry doors are the same: just empty grooves.

Probably -- sounds too wide to have been for a seal although typically
would be towards the outer edge. Does this groove drain outside?

I don't *see* where it drains to the outside, but according to a patent
application it is supposed to.

Perce