Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Question About TV Converter Boxes

"Worn Out Retread" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
wrote in
:

On 15 Apr 2008 16:14:42 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

AND,AFAIK,no converter now on the market can be programmed to turn
on and tune to a programmed channel;they have to be set up and left
ON until the program is over.

A lot of VCR/DVD recorders have a "blaster" that will send IR codes
to a set top box or converter.

Has anyone been successful at doing this with a coupon-worthy DTV converter
box?
I know the DTVboxes have only been available for a short time.
I'm wondering if the IR codes the VCR/DVD recorders use are current enough
for the newer DTVboxes.My Hitachi VCR has the IR 'blaster',but I haven't
gotten the manual out to see if it will set up the DTVbox.

A digital Personal Video Recorder (PVR) can be programmed just like a
VCR to turn on, change channels and record the desired program. They
have two tuners so you can watch a different channel if you like or
you can record two programs at the same time.

so what's that got to do with DTV converter boxes?
Of course,you could buy one of those PVRs instead of 2 converters,but
probably at a much higher price.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik