Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking,sci.chem,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Cindy Hamilton Cindy Hamilton is offline

Default Removing non-stick coating to salvage a pan?

On Apr 15, 8:13*pm, aspasia wrote:
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:51:00 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

wrote:
On Apr 14, 2:04*am, aspasia wrote:
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 16:48:33 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

wrote:
In article
,
Sheldon wrote:

The only reason folks buy cast iron cookware is because it's cheap,
and they are too poor or miserly to buy real cookware or they enjoy
playing pilgrim.

You don't have kids or a wife, do you.

It's a great way to get iron into the diet.

You couldn't HIRE me to use those non-stick coatings which migrate
into the user's system with bad consequences. *Feh!

Do you have a citation to a refereed scientific journal that describes
those
bad consequences?

Cindy Hamilton

I hope you don't mind if I suggest you do your own research. *I've
seen a great deal on-line and in hard media over the years attesting
to the damage done to people by fumes from these pans. *But that
material may not rise to the scientific level of assurance you
require.

Actually, the only things I've seen that seemed remotely credible was:

1. When heated to excess, some types of nonstick coatings can release
fumes that are toxic to birds.

2. If you don't use the nonstick pan like an idiot, you're in no
danger.

I'm really looking for a citation in the New England Journal of
Medicine,
the Lancet, or peer-reviewed toxicology journals. Perhaps I'll see
what I can
find. It seems to me that the burden of proof is on the person making
the
claims, however.

Cindy Hamilton