Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Energy savings of a ' fridge

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message

And don't forget my little gem of wisdom that your indoor refrigeration
cost is twice as bad as your refrigerator electric cost when you are air
conditioning, because you're pumping that heat twice, not once. Once from
the refrigerator into the kitchen for $1/day, and again from the kitchen
outdoors for $1.25/day. So the accuracy of your outlet meter is not
really
the point, because it doesn't measure the true marginal cost of the
refrigeration per BTU. This is one of the huge holes in the Energy Star
claims.

I don't see that as a huge hole. I want a comparison of the appliance uses,
not how my life is or is not affected by secondary functions. In my case, I
only run the AC about 30 days a year, but if I lived in the south it may be
180+ days. Some of my neighbors have no AC, others have central units. it
is impossible to give total energy use for every household in the country.

That tag though, does give me some idea that A is better than B. Perfect?
No, that is why it is called an energy GUIDE, not an energy absolute use
sticker.