Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark H Mark H is offline

Default oops

wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 21:34:32 -0400, cj wrote:

cj wrote:

i,m a dummy that just bought and installed a 38 gallon hot water heater
that is for a 240 volt hook up. the one i replaced is a 110 volt. how
can i fix this at the breaker box? the circut is a 15 amp breaker. thats
what i get for working 8 hrs. today and rushing over to home depot.
thanks, cj

got it taken care of
thanks for the input
cj

Taken care of,.....,,, BUT, with what wire?
I'm real surprised no one mentioned the gauge of the wire. If you
went from a 15A breaker to most likely a 30A breaker, the old wire is
not likely heavy enough. The old wire is probably #14 or #12. For
30A you need a #10 wire (thicker). If it's a long way from the
breaker to the heater, I'd use a #8, but for 30 feet or less, #10
should be fine. If the old wire is #14 or #12, DO NOT leave it that
way. You could start a fire.

110 volt at 15 amps ?????
small tank ????