Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Spark from ground wire normal?

On Apr 15, 3:08*pm, Speedy Jim wrote:
wrote:
Hi I was just removing a heater from the wall, had the right fuse out
and I got a big spark from the ground wire to the screwdriver when I
started to unsrew the ground. Is that normal? No juice in any of the
wires now including the ground.

I'm not that handy so I was just wondering. Thanks.

Is it gas heater?
Could be stray current/voltage on gas pipe.

If it is gas, measure voltage from pipe to Gnd wire.

Big spark, if you do a ground test you better have dry shoes with
rubber soles, wear rubber gloves and handle the insulated tools by the
insulated handle, a bad short can kill you, a clamp on amp meter might
prove if current is leaking.