Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Dishwasher install, electric question

dgk wrote:

Looks fairly easy to install where I just took the old one out. But
the old one has two wires coming into it, one black, one white. The
instructions for the new one (hasn't arrived yet) shows three wires,
with the third one attaching to a screw on the dishwasher's electrical
box.

Since I only have two coming up from the house panel, can I just run a
wire to something that should be grounded, maybe the drain pipe?

No, you need a proper ground, particularly with a device like a
dishwasher. What kind of wire is currently servicing (or was servicing)
the dishwasher? Unless it's pretty old, it should have a ground
conductor, possibly the person who installed the previous dishwasher
didn't connect the ground and cut the ground back for some reason.