Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Question About Adding A Bathroom

In article ,
Johnny_A_58 wrote:

Hi, Looking for opinions about whether the resale value of a house would go
up or down
after adding a bathroom. I know, sounds obvious, but read on.

I live in a 4 bedroom, ONE bath older house. The bathroom is 6'3" X 12'6".
The way the
house is laid out, I could cut the existing bathroom in half, making two
rooms that would be
SMALL 6'3" X 6'1" after allowing for the wall in between them.

I could SQUEEZE a full bath in each half with one accessed like it is now,
from the main
hallway. I could cut a hole into the master bedroom from the second half so I
would end
up with a master bath. But they would be SMALL.

The only other options I have would be to take away part of the walk-in
closet in the
master BR, or take the small adjoining enclosed porch, currently used as an
office and
convert it into a bathroom.

Both of those options would give me a master bath without touching the
existing bathroom,
but then I would lose either the office or a most of the closet. If I took
the office, which is
really a sunroom, I would have to do some major reworking of the exterior of
the house,
i.e. taking out a bunch of windows and an exterior door, and resheathing and
residing to
match the rest of the house.

My wife and I are capable of doing all the work ourselves either way, but we
are wondering
what would be the better way to go from a resale standpoint. Thanks, John

I'm sure you'll agree that the only thing worse than an outdated house
is a poorly updated house. I'd not cut the existing bathroom in half,
and your other options don't seem particularly attractive, either. Hard
to say without seeing a floorplan, but if one of the bedrooms is on the
other side of the existing bath, I'd think about scrapping it in favor
of two large, modern, well-appointed bathrooms.