Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Strength of materials question: square tube vs angle iron

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 14:45:28 -0700, 42 wrote:
(top posting compulsively fixed)

"Edward A. Falk" wrote in message
Hi all; about to start building a trailer. The trailer plans I bought
from trailerplans.com call for 2"x3"x1/4" angle iron. I want to use
steel tube instead. Can anybody give me an idea of what size steel
tube would have the same strength? Is there somewhere this can be
looked up?

--
-Ed Falk,
http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/

I wouldn't substitute tube for the angle in a trailer application.
Reason is that short of hot dip galvanizing, you can't rust proof the
inside of the tube. Water will get inside and eventually the frame will
rust from the inside out leading to failure. Do yourself a favor and
follow the original plans.
Just my .02 YMMV.
Paul

Fill it full of linseed oil & roll it around to cover thoroughly.

In general, "follow the original plans" is good advise, unless you know
the ramifications of deviating from them.

On the one hand I'm tempted to say that if you have to use plans to make
a trailer, you should follow them. On the other hand, if you never
deviate from other's plans you'll never make the mistakes you need to
make to learn how to be innovative _and_ correct.

Just check the safety-related stuff often, if you do deviate from those
plans....

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com