Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Travertine Tiles in Shower Good idea?

On Apr 14, 12:16 am, "Tube Audio" wrote:

My friend said I was crazy to think of travertine tiles in my shower as I am
planning to have my bathroom remolded.

I think your friend is crazy. Did you ever notice how their eyes
shift about? Something's seriously wrong there.

He said that it was easy to damage and difficult to maintain?

What are the pros and cons.

If you're talking about Travertine with unfilled voids, you'd be nuts
to use that in a shower. If you're talking about filled Travertine,
then it's pretty much the same as any other marble. It's porous, not
particularly strong, and can stain. So you need to have a bulletproof
substrate, pay close attention to the details during installation,
seal the tile before grouting, seal the tile and grout after grouting,
periodically do a maintenance resealing and take care what cleaning
products you use.