Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default $4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 19:37:38 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:56:54 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada quickly quoth:

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 05:33:50 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:49:13 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada quickly quoth:

Even our highways are going into private hands - along with airports,
etc etc.

How is that working out for y'all?

Not well.
Deregulated electricity and gas gets all the swindlers into high
gear.
The
privatized highways (electronic toll) are billing vehicles that have
never been on them, and if your tolls are unpaid you can't get your
tags renewed. If you have a transponder the rates are reasonable. If
you don't you get hit with a no-transponder fee that makes occaisional
use expensive.

That sucks, bigtime.

The government isn't putting enough of our fuel taxes back into road
infrastructure maintenance and repairs.

Ditto here. I was on Pennsyltucky's tollways in '98 and they're even
worse, with much higher tolls.

At least they had enough brains not to allow our aerospace expertise
(developed at taxpayers expense) to be given away to the americans.
Second time in 50 years we stood to loose it all under a conservative
government - this time they had the balls to say NO to the USA. Canada
and the world lost the AVRO ARROW in 1958, and with that loss , the
vast majority of Canada's not inconsequential aerospace expertise.

All because the USA could not allow Canada to be or be seen as having
something better than the US.

Now the USA wanted RadarSat and full controll over the CanadArm and
it's new little brother space manipulator.

Well, good for them.

We will not be held to the role of "Hewers of wood and haulers of
water"

Not this time, anyway.

Bbbbut, you're all lumberjacks (and you're OK), aren't you?

All the lumberjacks are either east of the Ottawa valley or north of
ther 49th. The vast majority of us Canuks live south of the 49th in
central ontario.