Posted to uk.d-i-y
spamlet spamlet is offline

Default Removing chuck from Black & Decker drill?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"spamlet" writes:

I had been on the semi-lookout for a right angled chuck, for under the
floorboards, and recently picked up one in Dunstable Discount, for the
princely sum of £3.99 (Blue Spot 'Pro Series'). For that price it's
probably not going to last, but for the occasional DIY use it will be
just
fine I'm sure. Even if the angle part of it packs up, I've still got a
spare chuck that is a big step up from any that needs a key, even if it
does
come undone in hammering, because the key ones do that too - which is why
they are always chewed up by desperate attempts to tighten them!!

Thanks for the heads-up. I poped in and got one this morning when
going past. Not been in to that shop for about 20 years, as it was
all complete junk the first time I went in there. Warned the guy
on the till that he'd been mentioned on the Internnet and there
might be a rush! Also bought a tiny plastering trowel. Could have
done with both items two weeks ago.

--
Andrew Gabriel

I'm sure they will be glad of the publicity: it's hard to go in there, and
not come out with tons of stuff 'just in case'!

Graz: I found that the little rubber holders for chuck keys always failed
when you weren't looking, and that having one taped to the flex always
seemed to be in the wrong place and getting in the way. And it was always a
struggle to get the chuck tight enough with these anyway.

One further point: I should have noted that some chucks are male and some
female, and for my B&D I also needed to buy a little converter armor from
Screwfix. Be sure to check the thread sizes as well as the chuck sizes when
upgrading.

Cheers,