Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_6_] SteveB[_6_] is offline

Default Table Saw recommendation needed please.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"HeyBub" wrote in message

Oh bother! I just bought a Ryobi table saw for $99.00 at HD!

Needed a table saw for one project (laminate flooring). Worked swell.

Now I've got a saw for other projects, such as making tomato stakes out
of 1x6 boards.

Tomato stakes are about the limit of that saw. If you attempt to do some
furniture, bookcase or bench, you'll curse the first time you try to
accurately crosscut a wide board that does not fit in front of the blade.

Agreed. Last summer, I had to put up two screen doors at our cabin and do
some very small light work. So, I bought the $99 Ryobi table saw. I was in
awe at first, never having had a table saw. The things a table saw could do!

Long story short, I quickly outgrew the tool as NOW my projects became
bigger and more complicated. Cutting anything of size on the tiny tippy saw
was an exercise in pucker muscles. Many a time I had the wife out there
helping me support this or that, and we learned about kicks and
idiosyncrasies of a table saw.

Any tool is good for what it is made for. Outside that, it usually sucks
big time. I'm a big fan of overbuying, but at the time the little saw did
its job and a whole lot more little stuff. At times, though, I really do
wish I had gone an extra Franklin or two and gotten a bigger one.
Outgrowing a tool can be costly, painful, and frustrating.

Who knows. Maybe some day.

Steve