Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_6_] SteveB[_6_] is offline

Default How to cut railroad ties?

"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
I need to crosscut a few railroad ties for landscaping, and maybe make
a couple crude half-lap joints. I've got a light-duty chain saw, an
old circular saw, and some hand saws.

Any advice? Better ways?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

I'd use a chain saw and that's just because I have one. A good Bow Saw
might work, too. Watch out for nails. If they are very old, there will be
a galvanized nail about two inches long with a head the size of a nickel.
The shaft of the nail will be quite a stout diameter. On the top of the
head is the last two numerals of the year the tie was installed. Called
"date nails". Crews could look and instantly tell how old the tie was and
if to replace. Date nails from the 1800s are very collectable.

Steve