Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Tile layout

wrote:

In my no tube small bathroom I have 32 inches from one wall to the
other wall and I have 12 inch ceramic tiles that I want to put on the
floor. I assume I need to put the 12 inch tile in the center and cut
the other 2 so I have 10 inch tile on both sides of the center tile.
The floor tiling would be set up like this from the front of the
bathroom to the back:
Front of bathroom - 10 inch tile - 12 inch tile - 10 inch tile - Back
of bathroom

Or do I do it this way:
Front of bathroom - 12 inch tile - 12 inch tile - 8 inch tile - Back
of bathroom

What is on the floor in the room adjoining the bath? What are you using
between the tile and
the adjoining room? Adjoining room is level?

I think it is a matter of taste, since you don't have any real narrow
cuts to make. In a room that
size, I would use grout same color as the tile so there isn't a strong
contrast. We have 20" tile in
our LR/DR and on into a very small, "L" shaped hallway. The dining room
has a step down into the LR,
and the tile bordering the step is a full tile along the edge, and that
is what is seen from front entry. The
grout line hits about the center of the doorway leading on into the
small hallway. I don't believe the size
of the tile really matters a lot, but if we had borders or contrasting
grout color it would look a little
goofy. A neighbor, with same floor plan, has small tile, white with
black grout, and it makes me dizzy.
Ours is taupe, stone texture, with taupe grout. There isn't really a
defined pattern that jumps out.

Biggest issue, IMO, is whether the underlayment is firm enough and,
whatever you do, be sure to
remove the grout haze according to instr.