Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default Are we the only ones getting screwed ?????

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

I'll answer your rhetorical question: Because the high speed rail
project has been well engineered. The trouble with the freeways and
airports is that they were designed for about 1/10 of the traffic that
they have now.

The well-engineered part is the problem. The Interstates have always
been publicized as being what is needed to keep traffic moving smoothly
for 20 years. Yet traffic tends to rise immeditaely to fill all that
empty space. Nature abhors a vacuum and motorists abhor a empty inch of
traffic lane at rush hour.

As soon as somebody uncovers a plot to bomb a train we will be talking
our shoes off at the train station. I also bet that 2 1/2 hours is a
pipe dream that never really happens.

I think it will happen. It's a finite distance, and the speed of the
train is known. The track will be on a separate grade, so there's no
crossings to slow things down.

But that many more bridges or overpasses also increases the number of
things that can dynamited and do nasty things to the trains. Also much
more bang (so to speak) for the buck smashing around a train carrying
100s of passengers than a few tens of people spread out around on a
freeway.