Posted to alt.home.repair
KD KD is offline

Default Energy savings of a ' fridge

On Apr 11, 8:47*pm, ransley wrote:
On Apr 11, 3:25*pm, wrote:

On Apr 11, 1:24*pm, "cshenk" wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

The methods may not be "real life" but as long as they test all brands the
same way, it is a way of noting that Brand A is half the cost to operate
compared to Brand B.

Correct.

I have to agree with Richard on this one. * There is no way anyone can
say that, because the EPA test standards as Richard provided, do not
test the refrigerators anywhere near to how they are actually used.
Rkichard noted that one big and obvious issue is the refrigerators are
tested with THE DOORS CLOSED AND NEVER OPENED.

I think we can all agree that opening the doors is a big factor in how
much energy is going to be used. * So, per your example, let's say
model A according to the EPA test uses $200 a year to operate and unit
B uses $100. *But that's without opening the doors. * Now we don't
know exactly how opening and closing the doors is going to affect both
refrigerators. * It could very well be that model A now uses $275 to
operate, while unit B uses $150. *So, model A is actually only a
factor of 1.8 better.

And I think this only gets worse when you're trying to figure out the
virtues of one with a sticker that says it uses $150 vs another one
that says $175. * *I would think the unknown effects of ice makers,
opening and closing the doors, having it actually loaded with food,
etc, could skew that quite a bit. *In other words, it seems a bit of
stretch to think that because of this labeling, the unit with the
alleged $150 energy cost is worth much more than the unit with the
$175 cost.

Ask yourself this. * If you were trying to determing how much energy a
refrigerator actually uses, would you test it with the doors kept
closed during the test, no food inside, and no ice maker? * And why
exactly does the govt test call for them to be tested this way?
These tests were not arbitrarily made by the govt, but were done in
collaboration with the industries involved. * There may not be some
ulterior motive involved, but it is a bit suspicious as to how they
don't test them anywhere near to how they are used.

I needed a new window AC this past summer. *In our state, there is no
sales tax on Energy Star models so I set out to find one. Found them I
did. *They were about $300 more than the non-compliant. *Guess what I
bought for $199?

Grin, I had to get 2 windows and a patio door replaced due to rental damage
and now just found another big window that has to go. *I went energy star.
2 reasons: *1- calculated heat loss best I could and the difference in cost
should pay for itself in 4 years (these are picture windows and a double
sliding glass patio door so significant when looking at a 7ft window-wall).
2- I get also a tax write off which gives back a little bit more.

I assure you, doing my taxes this year was interesting! *I'm getting 2/3's
back though so that's paid for most of the sunroom addition (repair of old
'enclosed porch, rated as 'sun room' in my area). *Next year, the sun room
can be written off as an energy star deduction because it's a repair to an
existing structure to a more energy efficient one. *Neat huh!

It may sound silly at first to pay more for a window or a patio door, but I
watched my neighbors pay double the heating cost this past winter. *Part of
that is they havent got a fireplace (or if they do, they arent aware of how
to use one effectively to augment heat) and part is they keep the temp at 75
or higher but a portion is also those same windows and patio doors where
they have actual drafts and some are not even double paned! *I have one
window remaining that isnt double paned but this is in the garage. *I have 3
remaining windows that are not energy star but were decent double paned
efficiency units of their day.

My combined electric/gas bill was 200$ a month less than my neighbors except
for one. *That one fellow? *He's had all of his windows done (uses same
fellow I do for this) and had his attic reinsulated. *He has no fireplace
but ran 50$ cheaper than me. *I'm highly considering rolling out an extra
layer of insulation up there.- Hide quoted text -

Trader has always been logical here. My old reading of the test was it
was Real Life, My savings are real, my tests of old to new are Real
Time since I own apt Buildings. Get a KAW meter, put it on a new unit
at a store and see for yourself, The mandates were plain and simple as
I reviewed them and they worked for us. Id say 50% savings is easy, I
have a 16 unit building *with *18 cfls, pump , boiler and condensing
boiler *WH, using 32$ a month , and house using the same, it CAN be
done... Cant is BS, we Can save energy.- Hide quoted text -

I just had my new fridge delivered today. While I'm hoping to find
some energy savings, I'm happy with it regardless- the fridge that
came with my house was 60 inches tall, probably 20 years old, a bit
rusty and I'm glad to see it gone! I had to have the cupboard above
it cut out to accomodate it, but so be it. The new one is over 18
cubic feet, probably a good three or four cubic feet bigger than the
old one. No coils on the back which is kind of cool, means the new
fridge won't stick out the additional five inches I had anticipated.
But on the not so good side, the cupboard I had my handyman build
above the fridge won't be nearly as useful for proofing bread dough,
since newer fridges don't give off nearly as much heat. The compressor
is on the bottom apparently, so not so toasty up above. New fridge
here, middle of the road freezer on the bottom model sells for just
over $1000 on sale here in Atlantic Canada.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I
won't be able to measure actual power savings - my new washer and
dryer were also delivered today, also replacing models that were
probably 20 years old. Didn't go for the more energy efficient front
load washer; as much as I wanted to, a mid-priced model here would
have been more than my new washer and dryer combined.

KD