Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Best way to cut glass??

Phisherman wrote in
:

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:08:48 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "
wrote:

I've heard about scoring the glass on only one side and scoring it on
both sides as the preferred way to cut/break glass. I've done it both
ways. Anyone got any real insight into this matter????

H. R.(Bob) Hofmann

Clean the glass. Clean it a second time. Drizzle a line of kerosene
on the line. Score. The scoring should sound like a continuous
ripping. Put the score on the edge of a table and give it a quick
snap. You could tap the glass along the score line if the glass is
thick. I have not ever tried scoring both sides--don't need to.
Always, protect your eyes.

That's the way I did it as a kid working in the old time hardware store.
The glass cutters sat in a tin can with kero.