Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Energy savings of a ' fridge

wrote in message

I have to agree with Richard on this one. There is no way anyone can
say that, because the EPA test standards as Richard provided, do not
test the refrigerators anywhere near to how they are actually used.
Rkichard noted that one big and obvious issue is the refrigerators are
tested with THE DOORS CLOSED AND NEVER OPENED.

I think we can all agree that opening the doors is a big factor in how
much energy is going to be used. So, per your example, let's say
model A according to the EPA test uses $200 a year to operate and unit
B uses $100. But that's without opening the doors. Now we don't
know exactly how opening and closing the doors is going to affect both
refrigerators. It could very well be that model A now uses $275 to
operate, while unit B uses $150. So, model A is actually only a
factor of 1.8 better.

Richard makes good point, but I'm not in total agreement. No matter how
(in)efficient a refrigerator is, opening the same size door is going to
result in about the same heat gain. Making ice in one over the other is not
going to vary a hell of a lot. You still have to remove the same amount of
heat from the water. The energy consumption may not be totally linear, but
so what? Comparing a unit that is $100 a year versus one that is $200 by
EPS testing will still be within a reasonable range under

The yellow stickers are guide lines, not absolute facts. Consumers still
need to think and use some brain power. Besides, I'm still going to buy the
model I want no matter what the sticker says.