Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default New Main Panel Help

"brianv" wrote in message
om...
Hi all. I have an older panel and I need to install a new one. I have only
1+ years experience with electric. The old panel is a Federal Pacific
125amp main lug. The service comes into the house to a 100amp main
breaker, then goes to the panel. I consulted an electrician and he told me
that I should get a 100amp main lug panel to replace it. He also said that
the neutral and ground bus bars should be separated and that new code
requires that a ground wire be attached to the main water pipes. I live in
Pennsylvania Montgomery County. I know I need a permit and inspection. Can
someone help me by giving a few details on things like the neutral bus and
ground bus deal? Also does a main lug panel need a 100amp breaker in it? I
don't want to remove the 100amp main disconnect and I assume that means
that the panel would be considered a sub panel? I am on a tight budget and
can't hire an electrician. Thank You.

-------------------------------------

Delivered via http://www.www.thestuccocompany.com/

A main lug panel is one that doesn't have a main breaker. you will not need
one in this case.Yes, leave the main breaker alone, get a 100 amp main lug
panel, and get an additional ground bar. As a sub panel the neutral and the
ground are kept separate. You will run a four wire feed from the 100 amp
disconnect to the sub panel. The neutral and ground conductors will attach
to the same location at the main breaker. In the sub panel the neutral
conductor goes to the neutral buss that came included in the panel, and the
ground conductor goes to the ground bar that you install. The panel will
come with a bonding jumper or screw that connects the neutral bar to the
panel box. DON'T use it.