Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Flickering lights on one circuit

"James" wrote in message
. ..
In my study, my lamps will flicker every few minutes or so. I assume
that
I have some defect in the wiring on this circuit, or that there is a
problem
with my circuit breaker connection, or the breaker itself.

So, today I went to the breaker box and made sure that the wire
connecting
to the breaker were screwed down as tight as possible. I was able to turn
the screw a full 1/2 turn, so I thought this might have cured the
problem.
But, it didn't.

This is a 15 amp, 120 volt circuit, and breaker. Is it very likely
that
the breaker itself is bad, or may I have a wiring problem somewhere in
this
circuit ? As far as I know, it provides power to just my one room study.

I can tell that when I turn on a heavy-current device such as my fax
machine, these lights will flicker when the machine operates. So, the
flicker can be triggered with a heavy load. I have never noticed this
before. But be aware that I get frequent flickering even when there is
no
extra heavy load.

The house is 30 years old, and most likely, it is the original breaker.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

James

First thing you want to do is identify everything on that circuit. If
outlets other than the lights in that room don't cause flicker, the problem
isn't at the panel. If the lights are ceiling lights, and controlled by a
switch or dimmer, I'd check there. You need to give more info about the
lights, such as the type. If they're low voltage and controlled by a dimmer,
that could be an issue as well