Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Energy savings of a ' fridge

"Richard J Kinch" wrote

Three, to benefit manufacturers by suckering consumers into believing
their
old units are NO GOOD, when they're typically just fine. This seems to
work very well on people, because we all enjoy any excuse to buy a new one
anyway, and the Great White Father has spoken.

Hehe there is a trueism there. So far, I have replaced things as needed
with more efficient units.

My chest freezer is energy star. My old unit was just fine though over
sized for our needs. It was an almost antique commercial grade and sized
unit perfect for farm and now working at a local church as the main one for
the soup kitchen. They tested it and told me it's running at about 7$ a
month which for their needs, is very good. (This keep in mind is a monster
big thing, you can put a whole cow in there and have room for other stuff.
It's the biggest thing I've seen short of a walk in freezer). We only
replaced that old unit because we had left it here stateside when we moved
to Japan, then in Japan got another.

It would be silly though to replace my refridgerator before it subsumes to
age. It may be costing me 17$ or more a month, but thats fine. A new unit
of the size and quality we find acceptable will run us close to 1,000$ and
the savings if even 10$ a month on the electric won't pay off before that
unit bites the dust through age.