Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default New Residential Electrical Service Box Questions, Please

On Apr 11, 11:18*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Will be replacing a quite old residential electrical service box with
a new 150 or 200 amp one in the near future.

Haven't spoken to any electricians yet, but before I do, would like
to gain a bit of knowledge as to
what is state of the art, etc., these days.

e.g.,

a. *What brand(s) do I want to ask for, and I guess what's more
important, which to stay away from ?

b. *Square D still the preferred one to go with ?
If so, do they have a "good," "better," "best" kind of lineup ?
Which should I specify ? *Much of a price difference between ?

Square D is fine. The difference between 200 and 150-amp service is about
$5.00. You can get "kits" containing the box, master disconnect, an
assortment of breakers, and (most of) the hardware. Take a census of what
breakers you currently have and make sure the kit contains enough
replacements for the sizes already in use.

Also, replacing the breaker box is a DIY job (assuming you don't have
communists or trade-unionists running your local government). Take pictures
of the set-up before (and after). Label the wires before you remove them as
to what size breakers they belong and whether any are phase-paired.

Job will take about four or five hours (including a couple of trips to the
hardware store for things an electrician will have on his truck). You'll
probably need power from a neighbor to run a drill or Dremel.

In addition to reserving the upper-right double breaker for an
emergency-power connection, you may want to add a whole-house surge
protector (about $40.00) as long as you have the box open.- Hide quoted text -

In this part of North America AFIK 200 amp is minimum allowed for any
residentioal/domestic installation. Only exception might perhaps for
hooking up a temporary construction shack.
If doing an extensive refit such as proposed it will probably be
necessary, in most jurisdictions, to have it done or at least checked,
by a registered electrician and then inspected.
Also for example many codes now require AFCI for bedroom circuits.
You may or may not be able to grandfather sectionas of your existing
wiring etc.
Sounds like the OP has a big job on their hands.