Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default New Residential Electrical Service Box Questions, Please

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Will be replacing a quite old residential electrical service box with
a new 150 or 200 amp one in the near future.

Haven't spoken to any electricians yet, but before I do, would like
to gain a bit of knowledge as to
what is state of the art, etc., these days.

e.g.,

a. What brand(s) do I want to ask for, and I guess what's more
important, which to stay away from ?

b. Square D still the preferred one to go with ?
If so, do they have a "good," "better," "best" kind of lineup ?
Which should I specify ? Much of a price difference between ?

Square D is fine. The difference between 200 and 150-amp service is about
$5.00. You can get "kits" containing the box, master disconnect, an
assortment of breakers, and (most of) the hardware. Take a census of what
breakers you currently have and make sure the kit contains enough
replacements for the sizes already in use.

Also, replacing the breaker box is a DIY job (assuming you don't have
communists or trade-unionists running your local government). Take pictures
of the set-up before (and after). Label the wires before you remove them as
to what size breakers they belong and whether any are phase-paired.

Job will take about four or five hours (including a couple of trips to the
hardware store for things an electrician will have on his truck). You'll
probably need power from a neighbor to run a drill or Dremel.

In addition to reserving the upper-right double breaker for an
emergency-power connection, you may want to add a whole-house surge
protector (about $40.00) as long as you have the box open.