Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Energy savings of a ' fridge

On Apr 10, 11:59*pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Edwin Pawlowski writes:
The methods may not be "real life" but as long as they test all brands
the same way, it is a way of noting that Brand A is half the cost to
operate compared to Brand B.

You and I have no way to know that, because the tests don't cover the
actual duties that use most of the energy--opening doors, chilling warm
things, freezing thawed things and ice.

Quite plausibly the opposite could be true, that Energy Star comparisons
are invalid. *Say one machine keeps an empty box of air cold more
efficiently (about all the Energy Star test really tests). *Another is more
efficient at making ice (absolutely unmeasured by the Energy Star test).. *
Since you spend a lot more energy on the latter, the Energy Star "loser" is
really the better one.

The DOE refrigerator test is like testing gas mileage while rolling
downhill.

Look, Energy Star exists for basically two reasons.

One, to allow the government to claim concrete progress on energy
conservation, with (false) statements like "twice as efficient as ten years
ago". *They've said that for decades, and pretty soon we can expect
refrigerators to not just use no electricity whatsoever, but that they will
emit 93 octane unleaded gasoline as a waste product.

Two, to let manufacturers make absolutely absurd claims about energy
consumption ($36/year to run, twich as efficient ...) with immunity from
lawsuits for misrepresented sales.

Three, to benefit manufacturers by suckering consumers into believing their
old units are NO GOOD, when they're typically just fine. *This seems to
work very well on people, because we all enjoy any excuse to buy a new one
anyway, and the Great White Father has spoken.

Why do you think ASHRAE has co-opted the DOE and dictates the tests now?

The tests do cover opening doors etc etc etc, 1$ a day, I run a house
on 1 $ a day. You really need to try a Kill a watt meter.