Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_6_] SteveB[_6_] is offline

Default Gorilla Tape

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Apr 10, 2:53 am, "SteveB" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Apr 9, 11:42 pm, "SteveB" wrote:

wrote

I worked for a rock band years ago, doing sound and lighting. Our
"gaffer tape" was just plain duct tape. I never knew there was a
difference. The duct tape held the cords to the floor and stuff like
that, yet it came off fairly easily when the concert was over. You
now got me asking what actual "gaffer tape" is? What does it look
like, what color is it, etc.?

I recently saw gorilla tape in the store. Never tried it. I thought
that too was just another name for duct tape. They also sell gorilla
glue.....

Since some people are dickheads and won't share their hard-won
information
from Google, I offer the following from Wikipedia: (and for free, too)

Google does occasionally prove handy.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Gaffer tape, sometimes shortened to gaff tape (especially by theater and
photographic professionals), or made possessive, as "gaffer's tape", is
strong, pressure-sensitive, cotton cloth adhesive tape. It is an
essential,
all-purpose tool on theater, film and television productions as well as
live
performances and any other kind of stage work.[1]

The most common use for gaffer tape is securing cables to the stage
floor
or
other surface, either for safety or to keep them out of view of the
audience
or camera. Camera assistants use short strips of different colors to lay
blocking markers for actors. Similarly, a narrow version of gaffer tape,
called spike tape, is used in theatre productions for floor layout. It
is
also used whenever a quick ad-hoc fix is required, from temporarily
attaching fixtures or props, to salvaging a broken piece of production
equipment. In the absence of console tape or artist tape, live sound
engineers may use a strip of white gaffer tape along the bottom of a
mixing
board, to label the channels used for a particular show.

The tape is manufactured in many colors, including fluorescent and
custom
colors, but the most common variety is matte black or dull grey. A matte
finish keeps the tape from reflecting light so the tape blends in with
the
typical stage floor of a theatre.[2] It is easily torn by hand so no
cutting
tools are necessary. The adhesive used is a high quality synthetic
rubber
which leaves little or no residue when removed.[3] It usually comes in
2"-wide rolls, and the cloth composition allows a consistent tear, which
means it easily tears into two 1" strips, if needed. Gaffer tape should
not
be compared to duct tape, a far cheaper product which does not tear
cleanly
and leaves a residue when removed. [4]

It is likely named for the gaffer, the head of the lighting department
on
film crew. When cables are taped down on a stage or other surface,
either
for safety or to keep them out of view of the audience or camera,[5]
they
are said to be gaffed or gaffered.

I offer the following from Wikipedia

I offer the following, hard-won from Google.

Sincerely,
DH

Wikipedia Banned as a Source
The controversy over Wikipedia continues. Now Middlebury College in
Vermont has decided to ban Wikipedia as a source for projects and as a
study guide because it feels the sites contains misinformation.

USPTO Bans Wikipedia
According to the Sept. 4 issue of Business Week, the USPTO has
recently banned Wikipedia as an acceptable source of information for
determining the patentability of inventions.

Wikipedia banned from UCSC class
SANTA CRUZ - UC Santa Cruz professor Dan Wirls adopted a policy
banning students in his American government class from citing
Wikipedia in research papers.

I see nothing wrong or controversial in their review of this type of tape.
I find it informative and educational. Perhaps that is because I am not
educated beyond my capacity and am still learning.

Ever hear of "Big Science"? It might interest you, but I doubt it.

Steve- Hide quoted text -

If you are still learning, how do you know if the Wiki review of this
tape is correct?

I am not so anal that I question every nit and whisker. What the intent of
my post was was to say that gaffer's tape is incredible stuff, and I don't
care what it's made of, what it's technical name is, or if it is made on
Mars. I taped down some cords (one of the stated uses in Wikipedia) five
years ago, and the tape still looks good.

About two weeks ago, I put a piece of red duct tape on a cable to mark it.
Today, I took it off. It was frazzled, and I had to use acetone to get the
glue off the cable.

I don't need to read about stuff that I already know. Especially when it's
against what I know.

Do you recall the coffee controversy? First, it's okay. Next it will kill
you. Next, it's good for you.

If you get involved and upset about every current controversy and let the
literati and illuminati govern your life, you may as well go into the
basement and lay in a few years of Depends, Chunky Campbell's soups (they're
delicious), and batteries for your radio.

Steve