Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Observation port cover? ? ?

Ray wrote:
In August of 2007 our six-unit apartment building installed a Burnham V9A
series boiler (oil burning). The warranty was for one year.

When we had our spring inspection-servicing recently, we discovered that the
three-inch round glass lens on the rear, which the service manual calls the
Rear Observation Port Cover, was broken -- undoubtedly from the heat.

Our local service company says this part will cost $215 -- an astounding
amount for a small piece of glass.

My question is, do we really need this thing replaced?

Yes, it should be replaced. It's unusual for one to break on its
own--they're a refractory glass so temperature shouldn't be an issue
unless it wasn't mounted properly in the frame so could handle the
thermal expansion.

If the unit didn't go in until 08/2007, would seem the 1-year warranty
should be in effect.