Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch Richard J Kinch is offline

Default Energy savings of a ' fridge

Most frozen food is contained in vapor barrier packages. How much energy
would we save if we kept ice trays in a baggie?

A significant amount compared to the bogus Energy Star efficiency ratings,
butat about $1/day total to run a real refrigerator in a real household
environment, I don't know that it is enough to justify the nuisance. I do
know it is enough to demonstrate the absurdity of Energy Star.

The tested refrigerators are not the refrigerators people want. The doors
stay closed, they have nothing in them, then make no ice. The
refrigerators people want (with doors, actual food contents, and making
ice) just do not perform anything like the tests. It's like the
government-industry promotion of "efficiency" in cars, where the fleet
mileage is based on subcompacts nobody wants and driven like nobody drives,
versus the reality of SUVs with optional engines and leadfooted lady
drivers.

Polyethylene bags, by the way, are not very effective vapor barriers, which
is why they're aren't used for things like potato chips that are sensitive
to humidity instrusion.