Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default new dehumidifier for basement?

ransley wrote:
On Apr 10, 3:46 pm, N8N wrote:

Hi all,

got a fairly old (1940's) house with a basement that tends to get
humid in the summertime - no visible water intrusion, it just gets
damp. I assume because it stays nice and cool down there and the hot
air from outside has a lot of water in it that just can't stay when
the air cools off. I have an old dehumidifier that came with the
house, but I don't think it's doing a whole lot - it runs a lot, but
the container never seems to get full. I suspect that this is wasting
a lot of electricity, plus it's loud. (the door is missing to the
laundry room, so if I'm trying to sit in the other room and watch TV I
have to turn the volume up when it kicks on.) I suspect I should just
buy a new one, any particular recommendations on brands? Quiet would
be my first concern, efficiency second. I may not need it at all once
it gets warm as we have central A/C installed (which we didn't last
year) but there are still a couple months where it is warm/humid that
I probably won't use the A/C.

thanks

nate

A new unit will be alot more efficent, 50-75%, many models freeze up
below 65-68f air temp, check the basement temp before you buy one,
there are low temp models sold incase you are below 68f. You have to
hear the unit to see if its quiet, one year I bough a sears , it was
quiet, the following year I bought another sears, its design was
changed and its noisy. Also get one with a drain and run a hose to a
drain.

Hmm, good to know. I do tend to keep the thermostat set at 67F, would
be lower if not for SWMBO. My natural comfortable temperature is about
65-66F. The basement probably is always cooler than the rest of the
house. Obviously it will be hotter in the summertime when I have the
thermostat set for cooling but spring and fall definitely the coolest
part of the house.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.