Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dropping the monitoring of the home alarm?

On Apr 10, 10:10*am, dpb wrote:
Mike wrote:
On Apr 9, 5:35 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
dpb wrote:
Mike wrote:
My wife is looking for ways to cut some expenses out of our family
budget, and she has suggested that we drop the monitoring of our home
alarm system. *...
And how much would you save?
It varies. Ours is $320/year.

The monitoring costs about $30/month I think. Wife floated the idea of
giving up cable to save some money and I had to put the kibosh on
that. I know it would be a good idea to do so, I just can't.

Well, have to balance that against benefit and make a value judgment.
Not having cable/dish, there'd be no question which I'd choose if it
were a sufficient budgetary crisis that would make a difference. *Of
course, there are probably lots of other areas that could find that kind
of spending in, too...

Just as a note, while we're totally rural, the big news on the city from
which the TV signals come recently has been car/garage thefts from the
better n'hoods just by cruisers driving by looking for open garage
doors. *May be middle of the day -- a few minutes in the house during
break of lawn work or whatever and come out to poof! *it's gone....

--

Had that happen last year to my neighbor and a couple of other houses
here. They cruise around neighborhoods and enter unlocked cars