Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default (phew)...Ok, so if I want an 80 gal tank (not tankless), suggested brands?

"Thomas G. Marshall" wrote
RicodJour said something like:

This is another example of bad advice. A larger tank is less
efficient and has a lower efficiency factor. Smaller tanks have an EF
of ~.63 so you're ****ing away a third of your dollars. A larger
tank's EF can be in the neighborhood of .50 Oversizing a system so
you can waste more money is the exact opposite of good advice.

I'm not sure I understand this. Efficiencey in engery loss per gallon
should be lower (at least in physics, larger volumes have less surface
area per unit volume). Unless efficiency in EPA terms is different (is
it?)

Dunno, but I do know the ratings on the smaller units are better.

Don and I talked and we are thinking to keep to a 40g gas tank when
replacement time comes, though we'd appreciate having the extra of a 50g.
The cost factor is better with the 40g and we are used to balancing hot
water use around it. According to the link site, we are slightly better off
with that type than tankless in our pattern of use.