Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11 Robert11 is offline

Default New Residential Electrical Service Box Questions, Please

Hello,

Will be replacing a quite old residential electrical service box with a new
150 or 200 amp one in the near future.

Haven't spoken to any electricians yet, but before I do, would like to gain
a bit of knowledge as to
what is state of the art, etc., these days.

e.g.,

a. What brand(s) do I want to ask for, and I guess what's more important,
which to stay away from ?

b. Square D still the preferred one to go with ?
If so, do they have a "good," "better," "best" kind of lineup ?
Which should I specify ? Much of a price difference between ?

c. Not sure what bells and whistles to ask about.
I guess I want GFE breakers somewhere.
Where should they be put in ?
Any potential problem in having one in the service box if there is already
one or two GFE's on outlets in the circuit ?

d. What about "Arc-Fault" breakers, which I've heard about.
What are they, and where would I want them ?

e. Is a ground rod required these days for the Gnd/Neutral, per Code ?
Presently, there doesn't seem to be one.

Much thanks; appreciate it.

Bob