Posted to alt.home.repair
mcfriendly[_2_] mcfriendly[_2_] is offline

Default Dropping the monitoring of the home alarm?

On Apr 10, 7:27 am, Mike wrote:
On Apr 9, 5:35 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

dpb wrote:
Mike wrote:
My wife is looking for ways to cut some expenses out of our family
budget, and she has suggested that we drop the monitoring of our home
alarm system. ...

And how much would you save?

Certainly an alarm service offers you multiple services - Fire, carbon
monoxide (at least for me), a panic alarm (in case of forced extry
while home), and the general proximiety alarm in the house for about
$300-$360 a month. I sometimes debate this expense but have decided
to keep it because I USE these services - some people have alarms but
never turn them on.

I have also discovered that my home owners policy provides a discount
on my policy because I have these services - offsetting some of the
cost. In addition I have increased my deductables on the house to a
$1,000 to obtain an even greater savings on my home owners policy.

My muncipality also charges $50 a year for any alarm service BECAUSE
they respond to every alarm triggered on our property. In fact, they
do rapidly respond to an alarm.

IF you live in a community that is distant to response services, have
neighbors who are never home or don't care, have security issues, etc
- this does not seem like a bad investment.

Kent