Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default Dropping the monitoring of the home alarm?

On Apr 9, 7:30 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Bob F wrote:
My understanding is that the police here hardly ever respond to alarm calls, and
certainly not quickly, so monitoring is kind of useless.

Make sure that your alarm has good outside speakers, and that your neighbors
will check if they hear it. Or get a phone dialer to call your cell phone when
the alarm sounds.

Chuckle. There is monitored as in a control room 3 counties away, and
monitored as in a local office with their own rent-a-cops they send out.
Some cities ban auto-dialers due to false alarms. Neighbors tend to
shoot out flashers and sirens that don't auto-reset after a few minutes.
If you are just 'out', an auto-dial to your cell will work, if you don't
mind being the first responder. Not much good if you are away on a road
trip.

If your neighborhood is bad enough that you need an alarm system, I'd
find someplace else to cut the budget. BTW, I'll bet your friend didn't
tell his insurance company he dropped the monitoring.

aem sends...

Actually, we don't really need the alarm I don't think. When we
bought this house 6 years ago, it was our first real house. I was in
"new homeowner" mode when I ordered up the alarm system. The
neighbors on one side tell us "we haven't locked the house in years,
couldn't find the keys to lock it up if we had to" and the neighbor on
the other side doesn't lock her house either.

The cops did show up once when my wife accidentally entered the
"hostage" code when disarming the system.

Mike