Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default Dropping the monitoring of the home alarm?

"Mike" wrote in message
My wife is looking for ways to cut some expenses out of our family
budget, and she has suggested that we drop the monitoring of our home
alarm system. She got the idea from a friend of ours who has done the
same at his small business. If his alarm starts going off in the
middle of the night, then it will continue to sound until he shows up

He's foolish, IMO. Spending all that money and not using the system? By
the time he gets there in the morning, the looters have cleaned out the
place and/or the perps are long gone.

If you do decide to forgo the monitoring, you may be able to have the alarm
dial your cell phone. Some can do that. Anyhow, if you do use a siren, make
sure it SHUTS OFF AUTOMATICALLY after about 5 minutes otherwise the cops
will give you a ticket, and the neighbors will be quite unhappy. If the
siren wails for 30+ minutes, one of the neighbors may get a ladder and some
wirecutters and use them on the siren. (that would be me)

Personally, I'd look elsewhere to save money.