Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default I don't want a pool

al wrote:
I've been looking for a new house and a couple that I've liked have
pools. If I got one of those houses and wanted to get rid of the
pool, what would be the best way to do that? Just fill it in or
demolish it then fill.

Drain pool. Remove and sell the pump and diving board and such, if they
are in good shape. Remove liner and metal side panels, if a modern cheap
pool, or punch holes in bottom, if an old-style gunnite pool (so it
won't float out of ground in wet weather, like a boat). Bust up
surrounding concrete and edging, and drop in hole, keeping top 18" or so
clear. Top off with clean topsoil, grade and seed to suit.

Don't just fill it in- that looks tacky. I have seen a couple like that
around town here, both used as garden space, and it still looks like a
pool. And see above about them popping out of the ground- that can
happen even full of dirt, or the reverse can happen- you will have a
small swamp with no way to drain it.

--
aem sends...