Posted to alt.home.repair
L d'Bonnie L d'Bonnie is offline

Default What determines how many amps you have?

Jack wrote:
Jrludi wrote:
I own a VERY old house and the wiring is a combination of fuse boxes
and small breaker panels and some individual breakers, sort of added
as they were needed. I am considering a replacing all this and
rewiring. My question is: is the power coming into the house standard?
Can I buy a 200 amp breaker panel and then have 200 amp service or is
this determined by the wires and meter running into the house?

Call your electric company and they'll tell you the existing capacity,
if you need larger feeder the electric company will install the larger
feeder from the street to your meter at no cost to you, past the
electric meter it is all your responsibility.

Are you sure you didn't mean to say re$pon$ibility.