Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default What determines how many amps you have?

"Jrludi" wrote in message
I own a VERY old house and the wiring is a combination of fuse boxes
and small breaker panels and some individual breakers, sort of added
as they were needed. I am considering a replacing all this and
rewiring. My question is: is the power coming into the house standard?
Can I buy a 200 amp breaker panel and then have 200 amp service or is
this determined by the wires and meter running into the house?

The service size is determined by the size of the service entrance
conductors. These are the wires that you own, that bring electricity into
your house, as gfretwell said, the utility owed wires, both overhead and
underground are sized by different authority. In a garden variety single
family home, you will have one service disconnect, which will be sized for
the entrance conductors as well. Who pays for a service increase varies
wildly from one location to the next. you need to contact a local
electrician or the utility company to get this information