Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] pcgeek86@gmail.com is offline

Default Dead Electrical Circuit Troubleshooting

On Apr 7, 8:49 pm, wrote:
On Apr 7, 7:39 pm, dpb wrote:

Alright, so I swapped two breaker lines with each other, and the
problem still prevails. I think that it must be a wiring issue
somewhere, but I still can't find the first item in the grouping. I
know that the line going out from the breaker is hot.

That's logical conclusion.

Did you do the exhaustive test of anything that is switched off by
turning off that breaker? There are only two possibilities -- nothing
on the circuit is live or one or more items are. If the former, you
have basically identified the disconnect is before or at the first; if
the latter, then you have at least a candidate for the starting point.

Looking at the location of the feed and the location of the dead
outlets, it should be relatively straightforward to figure out what is
the least linear feet of wire direction in which the run could have been
made. That would be the most probable way it was done (assuming this is
original wiring--if it's an added circuit, it would be more likely to be
the easiest access way, not necessarily the shortest.)

Right, so ... earlier in another post, I mentioned that I traced the
wire from the breaker panel, through its conduit, and as best I can
tell, it's going up, and out to the back, outdoor receptacle. I
checked that outlet with my tester, and the wire is dead. I have
checked all other outlets, and switches, on that side/area of the
house, and have come up with nothing hot, except what's on the other,
good, 1st floor breaker.

Thanks,

Trevor

Gents,

I just discovered, with the help of a guy fixing my fire alarm this
morning, that there was indeed a broken, disconnected wire. After
restoring this wire, everything is working again.

Thanks again for all the input! You guys have been most helpful.

Trevor