Posted to alt.home.repair

Default woodworking/millwork question

On 4/9/2008 1:23 AM Dave Bugg spake thus:

dpb wrote:

Dave Bugg wrote:

It's easy enough to do on a tablesaw. I wouldn't do it on a bandsaw.

It's far more difficult on a ts than bs (of adequate capacity which
any good shop will have). 9" resawing is beyond the reach of a 10"
ts.

Really? I haven't had a problem with it. Just flip the stock. I do it all
the time. Much quicker, no issue with blade tracking.

Yes, but ...

I agree with whoever said that if one were to post this on a woodworking
group, the answer would be "bandsaw" 10-to-1. It's just a better tool
for the job; much smaller kerf, and therefore less wood waste *and* less
power required for the cut, and probably less dangerous too (remember
that ipe is really hard wood). Yes, potential problems with tracking,
but that's what tuning a bandsaw (and learning how to steer wood through
it) is all about.

Of course, if one doesn't have a bandsaw, as I don't ... hell, you could
rip from both sides on your table saw, then handsaw the remaining inch
or so in the middle.

Or you could do it like Noah's carpenters, sawing the whole thing by
hand ...

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill