Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Energy savings of a ' fridge

On Apr 9, 8:09*am, wrote:
On Apr 9, 8:21*am, " wrote:

the energy use requirement from 10 years ago has changed a lot........

so a new fridge is likely twice as efficent as a low end 10 year old
energy piggie.

they fail to note the wasted heat helps warm your home in the winter.
but does add is summer heat load and cooling if you have AC

I was skeptical of the claim that a new refrigerator will use half the
energy of one just 10 years old. *From the DOE EnergyStar website,
they actually say a new energy star certified one will use about half
as much energy as one from 15 YEARS AGO.

They also have a calculator where you can enter your current model
fridge and energy cost and then it will tell you how much it will save
per year.

For my late 80's vintage side by side 24cft Fridgidare, it costs $305
to run, a new energy star unit would cost $90. * *I also tried using
the typical side by side, late 80's, 24cft option. * That comes up
with $397 vs $95.

These numbers shocked me. * I would have thought there would be a
reasonable energy difference, but I also assumed that there was only
so much that can be done to make them more efficient. *So, I was
expecting a difference of maybe 20-30%.

Guess I should start shopping. *Of course, the key to this is also it
has to be an energy star certified model and I don't know how much
more they cost vs other models, but assume it's still well
worthwhile.

Too bad they don't make this more widely known. *If I saw a TV ad
about this, I would have visited the EnergyStar website long ago.

Yea if we actualy had a Government Education Energy Program we all
would benefit, but the govenment does nothing. I think most all are
now Energy Star, Sears has had the most efficent units as of 4 years
ago, Shop by the Yellow Energy guide tag.