Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Energy savings of a ' fridge

On Apr 9, 12:20*am, Richard J Kinch wrote:
C & E writes:
I just saw an Energy Star commercial which stated that a 'fridge built
ten years ago uses twice as much electricity as a new one.

This same bunk has been spouted for decades, ever since the energy crisis
of the 1970s. *There was some basis to it then, but major efficiency
improvements have all been exploited for quite a while now. *Efficiency in
fact went way *backwards* with the switch in non-CFC refrigerants in the
1990s to today.

The biggest power hog in a refrigerator is making ICE. *Turn off your
icemaker and remove any loose ice (which sublimates and costs energy) and
watch how much less your unit runs. *As long as you have open liquid water
in the freezer it will never shut off.

Non cfcs, thats funny, so why dont home AC units benefit that same 75%
increase that my new frige gave me, why, because its not the Cfcs