Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing Air Handler (partially myself) - How to disconnectrefrigerant lines?

On Apr 9, 12:32*am, Question wrote:
Hello,

I need to replace my air handler (the evaporator coil is leaking), and
would like to do as much of it myself as possible. *If it weren't for
the refrigerant, I believe I could handle removing the old unit and
putting the new one in, including the sheet metal (yes, I understand
that the sizes won't match up exactly - the new one is about 3.5 inches
taller). *Ideally, a contractor would then come in and handle hooking up
the refrigerant lines, and any other leftover cleanup work.

The problem, though (as far as I can tell, anyway), is disconnecting the
refrigerant lines from the old unit.

EPA and legal issues aside, is there a safe and simple way for me to
disconnect the refrigerant lines from the old unit?

Let me get this straight. The obvious issue here is that by law, the
freon must be recovered and not released into the atmosphere. The
rest of us follow the laws and pay the resulting higher prices. And
you want to know how to ignore the law and environment and save
$150? Do you pour your waste oil down the storm sewer too?

I can't find a local contractor to do it for under $150. *And then I
have another service charge to hook the lines back up...so, that's why I
would like to do the disconnect myself, if possible.

FYI, judging from past refrigerant refills, the system is probably about
half empty or more at this point (the capacity, I believe, is 7 or 8
pounds of R22. *The heat pump is a Payne 3.5 ton 10 SEER.)

Btw, the old air handler is a 10 SEER 4 ton Bryant. *The new one (as
suggested by Alpine Air) is a 13 SEER 3 to 3.5 ton Goodman, with a TXV.)

Thanks for any help...

Mike