Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_2_] John R. Carroll[_2_] is offline

Default $4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 21:45:03 -0400, clare at snyder dot ontario
dot canada wrote:

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:27:52 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

Well it looks like we will definitely see $4 dollar gas this summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080408/...WE0yyABAqb.HQA

Any thoughts as to how this will affect us HSMers in the shop?

I already find myself limiting the distance I will drive to view,
purchase and pickup machines and supplies for my shop.

TMT

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas.
Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular.
Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american
gallon.

===========
There is the price that you pay at the pump and what gas actually
costs.

Best current estimate is that *TOTAL* American gas costs to the
end user/consumer are about 10 to 12$ per US gallon when
subsidies, petroleum company tax breaks, tax increment financing,
no cost oil from public lands, etc., (which the tax payers or
their grand kids) have to make up are included.

Note that this does *NOT* include the interest cost on the
borrowed money for the oil company tax breaks and evasion,
military costs including American lives, tax evasion, and the
geo-political costs, which adds substantial but indefinite costs
to every gallon.

== This shows again what a bad idea it is to subvert the free
market by hiding costs. ==

If the US had been up front, with the public paying the full
skippie at the pump since the mid 70s, it would not be crunch
time now. Wind, solar, tidal and even bio fuels [using saw grass
and agricultural waste, *NOT* food stocks] would now be major
players in not only fuel but also feedstocks for plastics. We
would also not have a grossly distorted economy based on
subsidized transportation.

All true and this isn't only an energy industry thing.
Increased gasoline prices have already had one positive result here in LA.
Traffic has dropped significantly on some routes, especially I-405 between
LAX and 101. I made it from Chatsworth to Torrance (46 miles) yesterday in
an hour at three o'clock in the afternoon. That is unheard of.

--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com