Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_6_] SteveB[_6_] is offline

Default Built in microwave installation

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
. ..
What is the accepted minimum distance between the bottom of a built in
micro to the top of the range cooking surface below?

ZERO. NADA. ZIP. POCHOSKI.

Never ever mount a microwave over a stove. Reasons: You are boiling a big
kettle of menudo on the burner. Now, you gonna stick your private parts
close to that boiling pot to put the marinara sauce in the microwave and
risk being a soprano the rest of your life?

You are gonna expose that microwave to a HUGE volume of air containing
steam, oil, smoke and crud in general? You'll never get it out unless you
totally immerse the microwave in cleaning solution about a dozen times, and
then you only get out about 50%.

I have lived in many places where I have had a microwave over a stove. I
have also built 5 residences now, and would NEVER ever place a microwave
over a stove just on safety reasons, and the hygiene issue is equal to the
safety issue.

That is just me. You can and will do whatever you want. I would dare to
say that many accidents have occurred BECAUSE of this configuration. Ever
drop anything when taking it out of the microwave. I have. You haven't? I
would just say - yet. You wanna drop that on a skillet of hot oil? Or a
lot of boiling water?

I also do not like the fact that in order to mount a microwave over a stove,
it is at a dangerous height for most people. My wife is 5'1" and she keeps
stools around to reach stuff, even though we mount the cabinets at a
standard height. We could have mounted them lower, but that would affect
the salability. I prefer a microwave at countertop height with room in
front and on the side for those times when you pick something up and have it
about half out of the microwave and say, "OH, ****" because it's burning
your fingers or spilling or whatever. Being at countertop makes it safer.
Even she, who's short, can safely handle things at countertop height. I
can't imagine her standing on a stool reaching over a stovetop of hot pots
to get something in or out of the microwave. If anything happens, it's
going to be messy and painful.

As I say, you can and will do what you want, but just think about it a
moment. And reflect on this if the worst ever happens.

Now I feel better.

Steve