Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Snow Seeding - (Lawn care)

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:42:52 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

A friend who used to own a landscaping business told me about a trick
I might try next year - too late now.

He calls it snow seeding.

I told him about an area under a tree in my back yard that never gets
any sun, so I can never grow grass there.

He said next year, in late February, early March, I should sow some
annual grass seed on top of the snow. He says the seed will stay
dormant in the cold, but as the snow melts it will settle onto the
dirt and have a chance to to germinate before the tree fills with
leaves and blocks the sun. The melting snow will moisten the ground to
help the seed get started.

Since I can expect it to die off by the end of summer due to lack of
sun, I should stick with inexpensive annual seed (landscapers mix, he
called it) and expect to re-snow-seed every year.

Anybody heard of - or better yet, tried - this process?

I've tilled garden material into the ground, covered with dead leaves
in the fall and in the spring I had so many plants I needed the thin
them - even gave plants to neighbors. Plenty of snow that year.
Perhaps try a light till and seed before the first snow.

What type of trees and soil conditions? You might try to cut a few
cores of your lawn and transplant them to the area you want to grow.
Get them started too see how they grow.

Pick a low light condition grass seed for your area, is another
option.